"KNOWLEDGE-BASED FITNESS"

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Spine CPM Unit

Spinal CPM
 
Following a Total Knee Replacement, many surgeons will immediately place their patient's leg into a CPM or Continuous Passive Motion Unit in order to 'get the knee moving' so that functional range of motion may be reached as soon as possible.  Some surgeons are advocates of the CPM, while others avoid it.  As it is very common to see a knee or even a shoulder CPM unit, for me years ago it was not so common to see a Spine CPM unit.  However, the clinic I had worked for purchased one for more than $50,000 and used it for many of the patients suffering from lower back pain.  I initially used it but did not notice much of an improvement in my patients' progress.  Many of them actually felt worse.  As I studied more about treating lower back pain, I learned that although many of these patients have limited trunk range of motion, my goal should be to stabilize and strengthen their spine in the neutral position, while maximizing hip and knee mobility, rather than attempting to maximize their spinal flexibility.  Once the patient has progressed through stabilization and into endurance and strength training, then trunk flexibility may be focused on.  However, this is not the main focus and many studies even show that increasing spinal flexibility does not predict whether a patient will or will not have recurring back trouble.  My take home message is that for clients suffering from lower back pain, I must first work on trunk stabilization in the neutral position, and not be so concerned about their spinal flexibility. 
 
Check out this video on the Spine Six Biomotion Unit and let me know if you have had successful or unsuccessful experiences with it: Spine Six Biomotion.  You may also recognize the picture below, which is similar in concept, but was being sold to households.

No comments:

Post a Comment