"KNOWLEDGE-BASED FITNESS"

Monday, November 18, 2013

Protect Your Back Even With Light Lifts

Protect Your Back Even With Light Lifts
 
 
Over ten years ago, due to heavy lifting with incorrect technique, I was unlucky enough to develop a herniated disc in my lower back.  This was the worst pain I ever experienced.  Thanks to Physical Therapy school, I was able to manage it conservatively.  However, every now and then it would "go out on me," causing severe pain with even the slightest movement.  One day, after being pain free for a few months, I told a family member I would help them move.  We had to lift and carry a 55-inch rear projection TV (the bulky kind, not the nice flat screens we have today).  I did my part without a problem.  Upon finishing up that day, I bent over to pick up a pencil from the living room floor, and fell to my knees in agony.  After everything I lifted and carried that day, a simple number 2 pencil drops me to my knees?  While on the floor, I had plenty of time to think about what had  just happened.  Why did my back tolerate heavy lifting all day long, but when I lifted something as light as a pencil, my back went out on me?  I realized that with every heavy lift, I did not just carelessly walk up to the item and lift it.  Instead, I prepared my back by co-contracting the spinal stabilizers prior to each lift and carry.  That's when I realized that it doesn't matter how heavy the object you are lifting is.  If you bend over to pick up an item, it is wise to perform the lift with proper body mechanics and pre-stress and stabilize your spine.  This will minimize your chances of injuring or re-injuring your spine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment