"KNOWLEDGE-BASED FITNESS"

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Summer Time is Perfect to Learn Core Engagement

Summer Time is Perfect to Learn Core Engagement
 
 
 
Just this past weekend I was visiting family in Rhode Island.  My 4 year old wanted to go swimming and so I began to blow up the many pool toys my father-in-law had purchased for the kids.  We did not have an air compressor available so I had to do it the old fashioned way.  After blowing up the third toy, I realized that as I pursed my lips tightly around the air nozzle in order to open the safety valve, and began to blow into the tube, my core engaged quickly and firmly.  It was not a "drawing in" or "hollowing," nor was it flexing of my abs.  It felt like my entire core stabilized my spine 360 degrees.  If you are having a difficult time teaching your clients (or youself) what true core recruitment and engagement should feel like, go to the dollar store and pick up an inflatable pool toy.  Try it for yourself.  Upon inflating the toy, keep one hand on your abs/obliques and you will feel it immediately.  Then try to incorporate this recruitment with your lifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment