"KNOWLEDGE-BASED FITNESS"

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Rotational Stability of The Trunk

Rotational Stability of The Trunk
The Renegade Row
 
The previous blog posts discuss exercises that are beneficial for developing rotational stability of the trunk using body weight.  These should be performed correctly prior to performing stability exercises using weight/resistance. 
 
Assuming you are able to maintain stability with the prior exercises, you may attempt Renegade Rows, using Kettlebells or Dumbbells.
 
Start Position Renegade Rows - Notice the flat lower back

Here, I shift my body weight onto my right arm in order to row the kettlebell using my left arm.  My hips and shoulders remain "squared-off" with the ground - Next I lower the left arm, shift my body weight to my left arm and row using the right arm

Incorrect Form: My hips and shoulders are not "squared-off" with the ground

Incorrect From: My lower back is not flat, but jacknifes prior to the row

The above two incorrect techniques are very commonly seen with clients who do not have the rotational stability to perform this exercise.  They may have trunk weakness or may just need additional verbal and manual cues in order to improve the motor planning/coordination of the activity. 


No comments:

Post a Comment