"KNOWLEDGE-BASED FITNESS"

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Training A Client Who Complains Of Low Back Pain

When working with a client, proper exercise technique is vital in their progress, injury prevention or rehabilitation.  In my experience, many clients will attempt a functional activity such as a lift from floor to waist (deadlift), and lower back pain will result.  If this occurs, I have two choices.  I can completely stop the activity and move onto something else. Or I can ensure that my client has made an effort to engage his/her core prior to and throughout the activity in order to protect their lower back.  I usually choose the second option.  Check out this video to learn how to assist your client in core recruitment.  90% of the time, after engaging the core, the pain is minimized or completely eliminated.  That is a great lesson for your client to learn, and hopefully they will incorporate this technique whenever they attempt a lift.  The more frequently you educate them on core recruitment, the more likely they will make it a new habit, and the less often they will feel lower back pain upon functional activities. 
Engage Your Core

No comments:

Post a Comment