"KNOWLEDGE-BASED FITNESS"

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Allow Self-Corrections

Many times I will be performing balance training with a patient and he will lose his balance slightly, frequently falling backward.  As I am by his side, I am able to prevent him from falling.  But instead of preventing the fall and completely bringing him to his upright posture, I tell him to "fix it."  As I physically support him, I ask him to maneuver himself back to his stable upright position.  This forces him to use the ankle, hip, core musculature to regain his center of gravity over his base of support.  This is used as an exercise as well as a motor development skill.  If we can get him to regain his balance by synchronizing all the necessary muscles, we are hoping he will incorporate this same technique the next time he feels himself falling backward, thereby correcting it.  So my advice is: Let them make mistakes, be there to protect them and prevent injury, but allow them to attempt corrections on their own.   Let them figure out the solutions and this will enhance their motor planning abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment